On this very Friday night, I have to "hide" upstairs to stay away, as far as possible, from this family fiasco. Hence, I'm in my room right now blogging.
A lot of things happen since Wednesday. For one, I now have a new job, as an insurance agent. Don't worry, my friends, I won't have to bug you to buy insurance from me. The company, American Income Life (AIL), specializes in supplemental insurance for labour union, credit union, and association workers. Leads of our prospective customers are supplied to us, so I don't have to find people to "sell" insurance to. Isn't that a dramatic change from the antisocial doublechin you all know. Even I myself am surprised with this career change. Anyway, before I can officially start, I have to write an exam to get a license, and undergo a series of training of two months to prep me for the actual selling.
Honestly, I dont' know how to see or evaluate this opportunity, but it is an opportunity. I don't even know if it is God's plan to prepare this for me to "fall back upon" (from DSF). AIL called me on last Thursday (a day after the DSF interview) for a brief interview for Tuesday, then I got called back to attend the information session on Thursday (i.e. yesterday) and today for my interview, I was hired. I can't say that I am completely psyched for the job, but I know enough that this job doesn't call for me to become a sneezy insurance agent --- that's just from my intuition. Anyway. Judging by the nature of work and the training that will be provided, this will be a worthwhile opportunity to build me and my resume up. The really cool and amazing part, I thought, is that most people in the office are Christians! I found this out during the final interview, when the HR manager looked at my resume, saw one of my extra-curricular activities as "McGill Chinese Christian Fellowship", asked me if I am a Christian, then told me that she is also one, and her daughter and most of the people in the office!!! She even told me that before she got this job, she prayed to God for a job that enables her to be surround by Christians. She also told me that the people in the office are currently doing this leadership training series from John Maxwell. I thought that was very cool! Although this isn't an opportunity I prayed for, I will still go with it, not that I have anything better to do at this point anyway. And it'd be interesting to see how a group of Christians can dream for God in an insurance industry. As usual, live one day at a time...seeing how my plans NEVER work out...haha...
For the whole day tomorrow, I'll be writing this federal government exam, a prerequisite for applying federal government jobs. Doubt that I'll get it, but I'll see about that.
I also have to play piano for small group tomorrow. Yikes! My first time playing for church-related stuff. =( I hope I won't suck.
Time to watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Ta-ta!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home